Light of Knowledge

Light of Knowledge
Lets Spread the Light of Wisdom

16 November 2012

Week 7: Time to recollect ideas!

Dear friends,

A true teacher is a student for life time!!

While doing my schooling, graduation, and post graduation under quite unfavourable study conditions, I always used to complain to my parents about disastrous situation in the field of education. My father, a vernacular language teacher, used to say, "thats why you should work hard, be a commited teacher and change it what you dont like now."

It gave me a spark and I decided to bring the CHANGE!!

I keep learning new things and immediately implement put them in practice otherwise chances of missing it remains quite high. Thanks to University of Oregon for extending this scholarship which has opened up new avenues for exploring new teahing tools and multiplying the benefit by expanding it to the students.

It hurts so much when no student in the class of 180 raises hand on being asked, "Who wants to be a teacher?"

I am not much aware about the world but in my setup teacher is no more idealised. Why its always a doctor, engineer, chartered accountant, and not a professor? Other professions may earn you better money but can they provide directions to innocent minds? can they build the foundation of the nation? I doubt. I wish your responses here.

Week 7: Recollection of Rare Rubrics!!

This week, i spent most of the time pondering over the treasure of learning received all these seven weeks. Acquaintance of Wallwisher turned out to be a blessing in disguise. There was a rich discussion on how a single computer can be used effectively in a large class. Number of games and quiz from hangman, manythings, monopoly etc were discussed as quite impressive tools.

The discussion on "the autonomy of a learner" was flooded on classrooms wall at wallwisher. Saffa, Csilla, Robert, and Tania gave very impressive suggestions in the development of discussion thread.

A true pressure has started building up with development of project planning now because students are not available due to Diwali vacation, India's biggest festival of the year. However i am contacting and bringing students from social community sites to a common place where i can try my project plan. I am sure something better will come out from this challenging situation.

My Warm greetings to all class-friends on the festive season of Diwali!!!

 


Thanks & Regards,
Tushar

 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Tushar,

    I was impressed by the picture quote. Yes! "To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner."

    WOW! Autonomous teacher and learner. You show signs of responsibility for learning:

    * You're willing to invest time in learning.
    * You're coming prepared for the class.
    * You're open to new learning strategies.
    * You're taking responsibility for catching up on missed experiences.

    Happy Holidays & Best wishes,

    Safaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tushar,
    I agree with Safaa that you have had a great aim from your childhood and now you are reaching to thast aim throuigh your hard work, inquiry skills. You are reflecting on your and studnets' learning and trying your best to change old process of your teaching. I appriaciate your hard working and your tolerance!

    Keep it up!
    Gulnara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tushar,
    What you said about students no longer wanting to be a teacher seems to be a universal phenomenon as it is quite the same in my situation; yet, they don't know what they miss and what reward we, teachers, get when we can see that we had them learn something. I'm sure Robert will confirm this because when I read his "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" on seeing what the participants had created for the week 6 task,I know that he was really satisfied and happy, and this is something we will not find in any other job. You also pointed out another specificity of teaching, which is the fact that we do not stop learning; there is always an innovation to explore and that is, once again, the reason why I think that we can feel blessed to have been selected for this online course. Keep up the good work, Tushar, and remember, 'we are in this for the outcome and not for the income'.

    Enjoy your Holidays,

    Colomba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colomba,

      Thanks for your joining my concern. according to me 'teaching' is a very noble task which should not restrict itself to transmitting information but should elevate to the level of spreading humanity. Teaching itself is a lesson and the objectives are good values. Today the new generation students are getting inclined to the professions that can fetch them good money. Its our duty to idealise our noble profession and drive them towards 'teaching' making it their choice. Hence, being satisfied with our good work is not sufficient, we have to multiply it to make the world more beautiful to live in.

      Thanks,
      Tushar

      Delete
  4. Hi Tushar,

    I do subscribe to your views about teachers. I think every day we learn a lot. I like the spirit that you carry in your heart. Let that light kindle a lot many as Divali does!

    Best wishes
    Sujith

    ReplyDelete